View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:06 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Wherein prof.ebral and I discuss node referencing systems 

Post Re: Wherein prof.ebral and I discuss node referencing systems
Well will ya look at this:
http://openrpg.wrathof.com/faq1/Complex_Dice_Rolling

Specifically look atb the bottom where it discusses, "Namespace variables". Surely this is back in 1,7,1 we're talking about for that page? "last edited 2007-03-26"

Quote:

[!@NodeParent::NodeChild@!]

which will start with the first node that is named "NodeParent" and searches its tree for "NodeChild".

Could 1.7.1 actually do that ?!?!? Or is that a late 1.6.X ? I didn't think that could be done until 1.7.5 and even then the container node had better be a top level container node. I don't recall this at all but clearly I picked up on the name "namespace" from seeing this page at some point. Now i feel like I ought to go test to see if that works in 1.7.1

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:32 pm

It must be very old as you can't even get [1d20 5 5] to work these days. You need it all to add up or multiply. No spaces like that.

Sadly my 1.7.1 seems to be ahving a hard time working right now for me to check up on that quickly. I don't even have any OpenRPG 1.6.X do you? not that I've seen any customers using a version that early. I wonder if some functionality was lost to a bug between 1.6.X and 1.7.1

All before my time.

Last edited by davidbyron on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:43 pm

prof.ebral wrote:
You are making this a lot harder than I have ever seen any beta testers problems.

In the Update Manager you need to add the repo url

http://hg.assembla.com/traipse_dev

Refresh that repo, then choose a package.

Well if you'd mentioned I needed to do that I probably would have had less trouble. No wonder it didn't list alpha and beta branches before. I am -- of course -- as anyone who just unpacked the zip file would be -- presumably on the assembla "traipse" project not the "traipse_dev" project. OK so I am trying this repo update thing now but still having problems. I am wondering how many testers you have actually had if none have had such problems before.

I go to the tab called "Repos" and there is a text control there (the only one in the update manager from what I can see) so I paste in the repo url, "http://hg.assembla.com/traipse_dev" there. There is a tag saying "Current Repo List" which I suppose is meant to be a list of repos but there nothing in it. I am not sure what to do next. I try hitting the only button on the page, "New" and nothing happens. I try hitting "enter" and nothing happens. I just exit update manager (this is how to save changes in many OpenRPG dialogs sadly) and nothing happens. I open it again from the help menu ("Traipse Suite!" menu) inside the running Traipse and try again: nothing.

The list of branches remains the same (orc and goblin only) in all cases, both as listed on the updater tab when you hit "Package Select" and on the "Control" tab when you look at the drop list of branch names there. In both cases I have just ornery-orc and grumpy-goblin. How do I get to alpha or beta branches?

Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:55 pm

David .. I gave directed you to a page that explains this word for word, action for action. i would appreciate it if you would stop down talking me when you are the one making the process to be more difficult than it is.

Here is the page again.
http://www.knowledgearcana.com//content/view/200/127/ wrote:
Beta Testing is easy with the new Traipse Update Manager. With this simple guide you will learn how to you can easily Beta test the newest Traipse development software, or create your own fork and share with others.

Powerful Updater

Traipse packs a powerful Update Manager that allows users to easily update to any Open RPG software that is being hosted by Mercurial. This is a powerful freedom that *no other* Open RPG version offers. In fact, other developers have either removed any update process all together or forced users to update from one trac only. with this simple guide you learn the 3 easy steps to downloading any Open RPG package that is available.

Alpha to Beta or Omega

The Update Manager is a powerful tool, but it can be a bit complex at first. This guide will guide you step by step (with pictures in the future) so that you can get the update you want.
Step 1: Create a Repository Location

The frst step is to create a Repository Location. This is really just a labeled URL that your software will save for you so you can come back to it any time you want. First, open the Update Manager. Either by starting Traipse for the first time or by looking for it in the Traipse Suite menu. Once the Update Manager is open navigate to the Repos tab (a). This tab contains all the repository locations that you have saved. If you do not have any you will want to make a new one.

The next step is to create a label for you Repository Location. In the text field (b) type in a new label and then press the New button. Below the text entry a new field will be created that contains the lable to the Repository Location you have created. It is not yet connected to a Repository yet, so we need to do that now. Enter the URL of the repostitory you want then press refresh into the new field.

For this guide use the Traipse Dev URL: http://hg.assembla.com/traipse_dev

Step 2: Choosing a Package

After you have pressed refresh the software will download the changesets but it will not update your software. Developers should enjoy this feature since the software downloads all of the changes that have been made to the software and with the Update Manager they can easily backtrack through available changes. I wont explain that here, instead let's update the software to the Beta.

First, navigate to the Update Tab (a). Once you are there you will want to select the branch to update too. Do this by pressing Package Select (b). A small dialogue box will spring up and you can then select the branch you want to update too. After you have made your selection you will want to update. Close the small dialogue box and press the Update Now button.
For this guide use the 'beta' branch

Step 3: That's It!

That is really all there is too it. You have not updated to the newest Beta release. You can also use the Update Manager to download the Standard version, or you can download the Standard's development trac.

Features Node: The Features node sometimes changes from version to version. Be sure to add a new features node by right clicking on your Game Tree root (the gear at top)

Small Warning: Some updates change core features in ways old code will not understand. If you run Traipse after an update and it fails to start, try one more time before asking for help.

Step for step, word for word, action for action. You inability to follow clearly defined directions is disheartening.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Alright; for some reason the "New" button was crashing when I entered the URL. So I have beta loaded now, I think. I can't get the

You know what I miss from my OpenRPG 1.8.0+dev? the ability to hit tab and have those long named node names auto-completed for me like in a Linux style command prompt. Anyway.... typing in "Behir (Example Sheet)" by hand...

I can get the full global path reference (the feature you claim you don't have anymore) to work still, but the one name reference doesn't find "HD" in the Behir if I type in !@HD@!. Nor can I find it using the !!...!! notation. Is there some trick here? I tried saving the tree and exiting and re-entering OpenRPG. I added "HD is equal to !!Details::HD!!" to the end of the Combat Ingo node and that should have found the HD, right? I also tried it with just, "HD is equal to !!HD!!". No luck.

Do you have an example character sheet node?

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 am

You don't put a URL in the entry by the new button, that is a Name entry. It even says name right beside it. Then you enter the URL into the URL entry after you have created a new spot.

You don't use !! .. !! or !# .. #! in chat. They are used directly in the nodes.

Yes. Load a new features node and then load the 4e PC Sheet. A 3.5 Sheet is in the works.

Send me Traipse OpenRPG Ideas, Bugs, Complaints, Praises here: https://getsatisfaction.com/mml

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:45 am
Profile YIM WWW

I see that Python 2.5 has a tripple operator... sort of. It was easy to add it to the simple arithmetic regex so that my nodes now support functions like:

Bonus applied to Jump skill:
Code:
((!@Move@!-30)/5*2 if !@Move@! >= 30 else (!@Move@!-30)/5*3)+!@ACP@!

And this calculation of the bonus to Hide from your Size modifier to AC.
Code:
!@Size_AC@!*4 if !@Size_AC@!*!@Size_AC@! < 16 else !@Size_AC@!*3 if !@Size_AC@!*!@Size_AC@! == 16 else !@Size_AC@!*2

The latter would be nicer with a dictionary but that won't be compatible with OpenRPG's syntax for dierollers. Probably we need a new node type purely for a value being referenced elsewhere (never sent to chat or evaluated for die rollers or filters). This node would support (at least) full evals.

Still, supporting min(,) max(,) and the new "x if y else x" syntax adds a lot of flexibility.

I suppose skill synergies (here for Diplomacy) is a more obvious application:

Code:
(0 if !@_Bluff@! < 5 else 2) + (0 if !@_Sense Motive@! < 5 else 2) + (0 if !@_Knowledge (Nobility)@! < 5 else 2)

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:02 am

Well I figured out what was going wrong. Your references only work from inside a use dialog. I never use use dialogs. I always right-click "send to chat" on the tree controll or else I type it into chat or use a mini right-click menu. So people have a lot of options increasingly... at least in OpenRPG 1.8.0+ dev. I guess in yours the have less options because I am sure references used to work from the tree control since way back. There has to be a common answer when the node is asked what its value is regardless of how it is asked or you are hooking things like the mini right-click menu stuff to a specific reference system. And there really is little need to do that.

I do like the fact that you updated the User Manual. Have yet to check out what you actually said but I'll probably grab some of that. The reference thing is kind of cute but I am leaning against it right now because I tend to think the people who write the character sheets probably have more going for them and can figure it out, especially as in OpenRPG 1.8.0+ dev it's easy to work out to begin with. I think I am definitely going to have to have the ability to access a cell but I am leaning towards doing it by referencing the row first in the usual way and then the column number. So your references to strength would be !@Strength::3@! not !@Abilities::(1,3)@! but I need to think of a better syntax because OpenRPG 1.8.0+ dev still supports one word references (they're so easy!) just like 1.7.1 had. And its much nicer to refer to Strength as just !@Strength@! You don't need a pop-up dialog to help you figure out how to write out !@Strength@!. If you go adding that number on the end it won't look like a one-word reference any more. Of course in OpenRPG 1.8.0+ dev you can get away without a column number with the assumption that column 2 is what you want each time. ie it's the default.

I suppose I am trying to avoid killing some hypothetical character sheet with some whacky node names that have special characters in them and so I am reluctant to introduce new notations as you have to include arrays and even die rollers within the path of a reference. The dieroller notation especially would mean you couldn't have a name with [.......] in it which I would think not that unlikely to happen out there.

You know it is a shame we didn't co-ordinate more on how we went about adding stuff because it looks like there's a lot of work we've done at cross-purposes.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:54 am

No worries david. The 3.5e sheet that is being crafted is looking very nice. The sheets will rely more on using lists to spit out the out put then they will rely on chat. We both have the same goal, I have mentioned that before, but we differ on the process being taken to reach that goal.

I am happy with the reference system, and the beta testers are really excited about the beta going stable. So .. with that in mind I am happy to keep the referencing system in Traipse the way it is.

I do find that your system, while it has some nice features, is going to be really hard to use. The way I keep seeing it is: If I have two PC Sheets and they both have a node called Str, then using !@Str@! to get the data will cause a conflict unless I A) Index one and un-Index the other, or B) Namespace one.

With a type of system like that I think context sensitivity is all but ruined. You are not really looking at a context sensitive node any more, you are looking at a global reference and your correction is to remove the conflicts from the line of sight. When it comes to players with one character I think your system is going to work, but when it comes to a GM who has 15 NPCs, all with different stats, your system is going to be a head ache for the GM.

You can see one more reason why I like my system a lot better. Even though the code admittedly could be cleaner .. I can have any number of Kobold sheets cloned and I can just choose their attack roll from the list inside their sheet and not worry about conflicts.

The PC Sheets for the Traipse Game Tree are turning more into a spread sheet. When you reference data in a spread sheet you use the Cell Number (A1 or whatever). When we reference data from a different sheet, we use that sheets name in the reference. Your sheet is very specific, and I don't like that.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:00 am
Profile YIM WWW

Well in the live sessions I play the users have 8-10 PC sheets each so I am coming at this entirely from a multi-PC sheet perspective. I assumed the main difference was that you are not.

Actually what sort of live campaign do you currently play in?

The approach of putting up the Use dialog and sending to chat through that interface works best I would think for when you have just one PC. It doesn't work for me as I'd have to have up eight of those dialogs. That's why mini context menus and typing into chat with the alias list specifying context works so well for me. I actually use this stuff in play. As a last resort I'll scroll down the tree control but the very last thing I'd ever do would be open up a big Use dialog. I partially open up a Use dialog by double clicking on a mini but that gets only a subset of the nodes so it's pretty quick.

Quote:
The way I keep seeing it is: If I have two PC Sheets and they both have a node called Str, then using !@Str@! to get the data will cause a conflict unless I A) Index one and un-Index the other, or B) Namespace one.

Well duh. Of course you namespace both of them to get it to work. It's one click. That's part of setting up the character sheet. If you don't set it up it won't work. That's hardly a valid criticism.

I can possibly see a use for some limited locality at a lower level than the entire namespace. That would be if you constructed your charactersheet from self-similar parts repeated with a small change such as if you had a structure like this for skills:

Quote:
-Skills
--Appraise
---die roller
---ranks
--Balance
---die roller
---ranks
etc

But I think with the grids working so much better now people are going to want to use the grid instead of that sort of approach. Grids are easier to edit and display. More compact.

I do feel I have neglected the Use dialog though and apparently you use it for your sessions. It might be a better division of labor if you try and get the Use dialogs working as best you can i handle the rest of the interfaces.

Of hand for example it would be nice if when you click through the tabs of a tabber and each tab is similar, say for instance they were tabs representing each PC sheet within a container called "the party", it would be nice if when you click on the next tab, you display the same part of the character sheet for the new PC that you were just looking at on the old.

Also sometimes for long lists a tabber or splitter is not appropriate and a container node that had a drop list consisting of the names of all its children nodes and then displayed only the child that was selected would fit better. Really I don't know why there is more than one container node right now because you could just have one radio button specify what type of container it was for Use dialog display purposes. In addition to the "list" option explained above perhaps a container that doesn't display any of its children (for hiding calculations nodes). Another type of container might have an "action" button that is sent to all its children such as resetting resource nodes.

Another Use dialog feature might be to have UI checkboxes relaying information to a variety of die rollers such as attack rolls that take account of a check box for "charging" or skill rolls that take account of a radio box saying "normal / take ten / take twenty".

I think I do like (in some cases) the container nodes having their children shown in the "Designer" dialog.

Or you could do more documentation? But your reference system is a long way behind mine I think if you plan to get any bonuses added to it. That's really important for D&D. Don't know about the other systems so much.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:18 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next