View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

SOS 

Post SOS
Some questions:
  • Where is the help file/manual?
  • Why can't I drag a tile to move it, and if I can, how? This is a standard paint function. Drag and move.
  • Please fully explain how pricing works. I don't get any of it. Include tiles sets that can or have been purchased online.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:07 am
Site Admin

Post Re: SOS
Thraug wrote:
Some questions:
  • Where is the help file/manual?
  • Why can't I drag a tile to move it, and if I can, how? This is a standard paint function. Drag and move.
  • Please fully explain how pricing works. I don't get any of it. Include tiles sets that can or have been purchased online.

There is no help file at the moment. There will be a combination of video and text help files, but it's still in beta, so I haven't started on it yet. I will soon as I feel I'm close to dropping the beta tag.

The blue reticle is the exact dimensions of the selected tile. So I guess I felt that sufficed. I actually felt it was better since you can see through it while you move around the map and you don't have to hold down a mouse button. But I'm certainly open to changing it if others like yourself think its important. I aim to please.

You pay when you export maps. Right now there are 4 formats, web, adventure, miniature, and zip of miniature tiles. There will be more exports as time goes on. Each one has a cost per sq (expect web which is free). Normally, $0.001 per sq in. If you do a miniature scale export, you need to own the tiles, which you only pay for once (price $0.01 per sq).

You can get tiles from other sources such as rpgnow as well. There's a form to submit to get them added to your library. There's also a way to make sure they automatically get added when you buy them from rpgnow, which I made a help video for.

I do need to better explain this, but that goes to your first questions :) , which I will be addressing as I move out of beta.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:14 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the answers. After playing with Tiamat some more I thought it was in dire need of a Drag&Move feature. What's implemented now is extremely painful to use and makes me never want to use the tool. As it is now, to move a tile one square over you have to click on it, click on some space that will FULL accommodate it, then put it where you wanted it, which was only one square over. It doesn't allow you to move a tile one square, or any number of squares if the current tile is occupying part of the space you want to move to. VERY VERY clumsy! You should try the free TileSystem program. The UI is wonderful and is what Tiamat should be modeled after.

I want the tiles from the Skeleton Key Games product "Desert Bluffs" (SKG173e) to print them out for miniature gaming but I still don't have any idea which export option to use, "Miniature Map" or "Tiles only ZipFile"? I assume I want "Tiles only ZipFile" so I can print each tile separately. This option is listed as ""150dps @ 150dpi". Is this the same resolution as the product purchased from rpgnow.com? I don't know whether I should buy these tiles from rpgnow.com or through Tiamat. Tiamat's price is ~$3 higher but I have $10 credit in Tiamat. speaking of higher prices, why is it more expensive to buy the same set through Tiamat instead of buying it from rpgnow.com?

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:12 am
Site Admin

Thraug wrote:
Thanks for the answers. After playing with Tiamat some more I thought it was in dire need of a Drag&Move feature. What's implemented now is extremely painful to use and makes me never want to use the tool. As it is now, to move a tile one square over you have to click on it, click on some space that will FULL accommodate it, then put it where you wanted it, which was only one square over. It doesn't allow you to move a tile one square, or any number of squares if the current tile is occupying part of the space you want to move to. VERY VERY clumsy! You should try the free TileSystem program. The UI is wonderful and is what Tiamat should be modeled after.

I'll check out TileSystem. Do you have a url? In the meantime, note that you can cut and paste tiles too. So if you just want to move a tile over 1 sq, cut it, and then place it. So you don't have to do what you outlined above.

rpgobjects wrote:
I want the tiles from the Skeleton Key Games product "Desert Bluffs" (SKG173e) to print them out for miniature gaming but I still don't have any idea which export option to use, "Miniature Map" or "Tiles only ZipFile"? I assume I want "Tiles only ZipFile" so I can print each tile separately. This option is listed as ""150dps @ 150dpi". Is this the same resolution as the product purchased from rpgnow.com? I don't know whether I should buy these tiles from rpgnow.com or through Tiamat. Tiamat's price is ~$3 higher but I have $10 credit in Tiamat. speaking of higher prices, why is it more expensive to buy the same set through Tiamat instead of buying it from rpgnow.com?

Miniature Map is one big Image. Miniature Map Zip (as you point out) is the separate images. Either way, you own the tiles after purchase.

The prices aren't necessarily higher in Tiamat. It depends on the set and how many you are buying. There is a bulk discount for 25 and 50 tiles. The advantage Tiamat has over the sets is you only need to buy the tiles you want and can pick from all the tile sets. However you can mix and match. You can buy the tiles from rpgnow.com and get them added to your account and still buy single tiles from Tiamat. So you can work it so you spend the least amount if you wish.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:36 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the quick reply.

Here's a link to TileSystem that includes photos and drawings of Dwarven Forge pieces. I use this to arrange DF layouts. You can unzip it and be up and running in minutes. No installation required.

PS: What about resolution? Is it the same when purchased through Tiamat as it is when purchased through DrivethruRPG.com?

Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:09 pm
Site Admin

Yes the resolution of the tiles are the same. They are in JPEG format instead of PDF in Tiamat.

Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:52 pm
Profile WWW