View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am

[Darwins World] Savage Worlds - Dual Cerebellum 

Post [Darwins World] Savage Worlds - Dual Cerebellum
First off, the Survivor's Handbook has me all fired up to run something PostApoc! Good job!

A quick question on Dual Cerebellum:

"Every time the mutant makes a Trait roll based on Smarts..."

Would you please clarify for me - is that only on Smarts rolls (say a Smarts Trick, Common Knowledge) or Smarts plus skills linked to Smarts (Gambling, Healing, Investigation, etc)? I initially read it as the latter, but I think it is the former after thinking how powerful the mutation would be if it included Smarts-linked skills.

Thanks!!

Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:53 am

Post Re: [Darwins World] Savage Worlds - Dual Cerebellum
You were correct in your first assumption. Dual Cerebellum works with all Smarts based Attribute Rolls and all Smarts based Skill Rolls. That's why I used the term "Trait Rolls", which encompases both.

Dual Cerebellum is powerful for Smarts based skills, and can make a Psionic character pretty powerful. Keep in mind, that with 2 Smarts die, a psionicist is twice as likely to burn his brain by rolling a 1 on his Smarts die. Either die would count for this.

Also, aside from Taunt, Smarts based skills are not really combat skills. Most players seem to think combat advantages are more powerful than non-combat advantages. This tends to make players not pick Dual-Cerebellum as often.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:14 pm
Profile WWW

Red-24 wrote:
Dual Cerebellum is powerful for Smarts based skills, and can make a Psionic character pretty powerful. Keep in mind, that with 2 Smarts die, a psionicist is twice as likely to burn his brain by rolling a 1 on his Smarts die. Either die would count for this.

Psionics is what had me thinking of it as I am running a psionist in a traditional fantasy campaign right now.

Now, what you wrote about either die creating the backlash is interesting and not what I would have assumed would happen give it is a "better of rule" (although I did not read the psionics that close - perhaps you mentioned it there). I can see that given there are two brains that did try something. That does balance the effect out. So you could have a 1,1,4 situation where the spell goes off AND there is a critical failure (2 ones with any combo of the dice - or would you rule the 1s have to be a Smarts and Wild die, not the two Smarts dice)? Hmmm, fun is 1,1,1! That would be fun backlash to rule.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Good point. I hadn't considered critical failure.

Given that with normal rolls, you could have a 1 on the Skill die and a success on the Wild die and you still get Brain Burn, but only a 1 on both the Skill die and Wild die give you a critical failure, my ruling would be that you have to get three 1's to have a critical failure because you would discard the lowest skill die roll. I think this should be left up to the individual GM and their style of play.

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:07 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the quick replies!

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:11 pm