View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

[Darwin's World] -(Savage Worlds) Mutant generations? 

Post [Darwin's World] -(Savage Worlds) Mutant generations?
Hey all,

I am new to DW/SW and I am trying to start up a campaign for my group.

In reading over the chargen rules for mutants, it appears on the surface that there is very little disadvantage to not being 3rd gen. if one wants to be a mutant. My players have noticed this too of course. Am I missing a balancing detail somewhere?

What have other GM's done?

Not that balance is all that important but the questions have come up from the players.

If there is a better place to ask these questions please le tme know.

Thanks,
Mac

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Post Re: [Darwin's World] -(Savage Worlds) Mutant generations?
Hi Mac,

It can seem like 3rd gens get all the benefits and less of the drawbacks, but it really comes down to how the GM plays up the disadvantage of being 3rd Gen.

The biggest drawback is the danger of using medicines of the ancients. If these medicines are made available, then the humans and first gens are going to be healing a lot and gain advantages from the other medicines. 3rd Gens have an extremely high risk of death from taking Ancient medicines.

Also, 3rd Gens are looked upon with fear and distain from many communities. The GM can play this up to make life miserable for these neo-humans.

What I have found in my groups is that those players who just want to make a powerhouse character make a 3rd Gen mutant. The first group I ran with Savage Worlds had 2 humans, a 1st Gen, a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen. Even after a human bit it on the first adventure, the player still created another human to fill the gap. So not everyone will go 3rd Gen.

Also, the minor mutations are similar to having a extra Edge, Major mutations a bit better (not quite 2 Edges, but better than 1). Savage Worlds characters don't become outrageously more powerful just by having a few more Edges. Novice charaters (with few levels) can do just a well as Seasoned or even Veteran characters.

So, if your players all want to be 3rd Gen mutants, let them. Maybe throw in a human NPC who keeps benefiting from medicines, or gets special treatment by certain communities, or gains control of an android.

Let me know how things go.

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:17 pm
Profile WWW