View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:49 am

Tiamat thoughts 

Post Re: Tiamat thoughts
Hi

I just discovered Tiamat and think it's wonderful.

I will certainly be using it alot as I introduce my grandchildren to the world of RPGs.

Anyway, here are couple of thoughts:

Filler tiles:

Sea tiles:

The ship sections are 6x7 in size which leads to an awkward 1" bump in the map. How about a 5x6 sea-texture filler tile? A 7" ship tile next to a 5" sea tile would marry up with two 6" tiles. (Also, I couldn't see a standard 6x6 sea tile - did I miss it? A 6x7 sea tile would be useful too, to place alongside 6x7 ship tiles.)

Blank areas:

I'm assuming that any other company's tiles (other than SKG) will not be added to the tile selection. However, it would be useful to have some blank filler tiles of various sizes to indicate areas of the map where I could drop in, for example, a Fat Dragon tile or 3D model. Perhaps a simple grey box (not textured) maybe with a symbol or letter on it as a key, would do the job.

Specific tile requests:

I guess requests for specific tiles would be better addressed to SKG but I assume they either read this forum or you keep them appraised of any requests. Anyway, if this is the wrong place I apologise.

Arena & Colosseum tiles:

It would be useful to have internal corner tiles for the Colosseum set to turn it into a Hippodrome for horse or chariot races. (By that I mean a corner with the sand of the arena on the outside of the corner - plus a straight tile to match. Yes, I want to be Ben Hur!)

How about an Arena tile with a trap door for tigers to leap out of a la Gladiator?

Drop on tiles:

It would be useful to have a selection of tiles to drop on to the miniatures map during play. The usual stuff - pit-trap, trapdoor, bridge, pile of treasure. The user could select the tiles needed tiles and place them down the side of the map on screen. They could either be free tiles or two or more items could be on each chargable 6x6 tile (perhaps as before-and-after images).

For example:

Trapdoor tile = a 3x3 closed trapdoor & 3x3 open trapdoor with steps & 3x3 open trapdoor opening onto river & 3x3 open trapdoor opening onto sewers.

Bridge tile = a 3x6 bridge & 2 two 3x2 collapsed bridge ends.

Tomb tile = closed tomb & open tomb with body & open tomb with hidden steps & open tomb with treasure.
You get the idea!

I think SKG do a sheet of this sort of stuff already already but I might be getting confused with another company. They do a Dungeon Pits set at least. (Some of the tiles in the Perilous Passages set would be perfect, but I don't know if they would convert easily to Tiamat as they are layered PDFs.)

Having the tiles down the side of the map would make it easy to cut and paste them into place on the Adventure map later.

Anyway, that's enough from me. I'm going to find out where I can put these requests to SKG. They have a Facebook page, don't they?.

Again, Tiamat is wonderful (and simple enough to use that I hope to teach my grand-kids to create their own maps with it).

Keep up the good work!

Michael

Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:31 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback.

Filler tiles:

I've created filler tiles for most textures (1x1,2x2,3x3,4x4). I know I created some for the water. There is a "fill" tag you can use to filter those. If you find a texture I neglected to do, let me know.

As for blank ones, let me consider that.

Specific Request:
As for the specific requests, I'll pass them on to Skeleton Key who makes the tiles.

Drop In Tiles:
I know SK made accessory sheets with stuff to place on top of tiles. It's on my list of things to do to add some way to put those on a map. I can see about making it easier to put alternate drop ins on the side, but in the meantime there is nothing preventing you from designing your map that way.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Chris,

Any update on Tiamat, and its "live" status? I'm back creating maps for my campaign after a hiatus, and am hopeful you've decided to continue with the project. For what it's worth, I still think the ability to "mirror image" tiles would be very useful, and the concept of "drop-in" art (chests, skeletons, traps) would help immensely too. As it stands, I have to do some of this manually in Photoshop (I project the map down from the ceiling), and incorporate layers, fog of war, etc.

Regards...Chris

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:16 pm
Site Admin

cpaquin24 wrote:
Hi Chris,

Any update on Tiamat, and its "live" status? I'm back creating maps for my campaign after a hiatus, and am hopeful you've decided to continue with the project. For what it's worth, I still think the ability to "mirror image" tiles would be very useful, and the concept of "drop-in" art (chests, skeletons, traps) would help immensely too. As it stands, I have to do some of this manually in Photoshop (I project the map down from the ceiling), and incorporate layers, fog of war, etc.

Regards...Chris

Good to hear from you again chris.

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question. I do continue to maintain Tiamat, but I haven't released an update in awhile since leaving beta. I hope too once I finish off my latest DW book. .

The mirror image option is on my short list, but it's a little trickier than I had anticipated. Still, I hope to get it added at some point.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:08 pm
Profile WWW