View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Tiamat thoughts 

Post Re: Tiamat thoughts
Great tool. Some comments, on Tiamat mostly but some other things also:

TIAMAT COMMENTS:
  • As other mentioned, I'd much rather have the rotate work relative to the current position, possibly with only 2 keybindings, clockwise and counter-clockwise. Meaning, when I press 'a' the tile rotates 90 degrees counter-clockwise. When I press 'd' it rotates 90 degrees clockwise. Much more intuitive.
  • Please make sure there's an option to print tiles individually. I print out each tile on a magnetic sheet, not as one large map, and would cry if it was only one larger map. :)
  • Please please please allow for more rows of tiles along the bottom of the view. One row isn't enough. At least make it an option for multiple rows.
  • How about an option to move or drag a tile, or even better, all tiles selected (via rubberbanding) as group?
  • Make it so that a tile is selected after it's placed. This makes rotating easier, and deleting if necessary.
  • Add option to move to the end (front & back) of each tile ribbon. Too slow to scroll all pages of a ribbon to get to one end.

OTHER COMMENTS/QUESTIONS:
  • I only found this site, and Tiamat, by accident. I've always been interested in SkeletonKey Games but their site hasn't had updates in months. I thought they went under or weren't producing products anymore.
  • How are you guys associated with them?
  • They need news updates or links to this site.

Mon May 03, 2010 2:32 am
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback. Answers/Comments to your feedback in order.

TIAMAT COMMENTS:
- Yes, I got to do something different. Maybe I'll do what you suggest. I guess I just thought it would be easier to have 1 key for each direction (w,a,d,s). But I also want to put some icon overlays when you select a tile to rotate it (or do other things).
- Yes, you can either download the tiles or the maps. Question for you, do you want the tile as a PDF or JPG? I often wonder if people like the tiles as 8.5x11 pages with all the whitespace.
- Yeah, I will have some options there.
- I'm going to try to do something to address this. I don't know if I want dragging or not. But I definitely want a way to select groups of tiles that you can move/copy to another location.
- I'll have to make this an option. If someone was doing a long hallway, having to reselect the tile would be annoying as well. I'm sort of torn there. Anyone else agree with this suggestion?
- good suggestion. adding it to my todo list

OTHER COMMENTS/QUESTIONS:
- I haven't done a ton of promotion yet as I'm still in alpha. Ed of SkelentonKey games has a full time job at Privateer Press now, so his time is more limited, but SkelentonKey isn't dead or anything. And he's working on some new Post Apocalyptic tile sets as we speak.
- I license the tiles from SkelentonKey.
- They will. I'll talk to him about doing something with his site so it doesn't look so dead.

Wed May 05, 2010 5:12 pm
Profile WWW

SUGGESTIONS:

1) Add another row for the tiles at the bottom.
2) Add a horizontal scrollbar for the tiles at the bottom. Paging is too slow.
3) Dock the tile filter with option of right or left.
4) Include a filter page to show by tile set. Some of the tiles have only one tag: Dungeon or Cave, and it's very difficult to page through to find them. I know what set they're in.
5) Export must include the printable options like Tile Mapper, showing tile names/codes and tile separations. I already have the tiles printed, so I don't need a printout of them again. I just need the codes of where to put them.
6) I wish the "select tile, click somewhere else" would move the tile. Add an option to copy the tile instead. I like to use variety of tiles, so copy is almost useless.
7) You should be able to overlap tiles. Some tiles do not line up with all the sets so you have an offset. Providing a way to do a filler would be great. Usually this is just DV113.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:26 pm
Site Admin

zerorelative wrote:
SUGGESTIONS:

1) Add another row for the tiles at the bottom.
2) Add a horizontal scrollbar for the tiles at the bottom. Paging is too slow.
3) Dock the tile filter with option of right or left.
4) Include a filter page to show by tile set. Some of the tiles have only one tag: Dungeon or Cave, and it's very difficult to page through to find them. I know what set they're in.
5) Export must include the printable options like Tile Mapper, showing tile names/codes and tile separations. I already have the tiles printed, so I don't need a printout of them again. I just need the codes of where to put them.
6) I wish the "select tile, click somewhere else" would move the tile. Add an option to copy the tile instead. I like to use variety of tiles, so copy is almost useless.
7) You should be able to overlap tiles. Some tiles do not line up with all the sets so you have an offset. Providing a way to do a filler would be great. Usually this is just DV113.

Thanks for the feedback. Working on these and other suggestions. Comments/questions below.

1) Coming. Should be in the next update.
2) It's not a bad idea, but I don't know about this. I have concerns with performance having a pane hold 2000+ images. It's going to make the UI sluggish and eat a lot of memory I think. I'm hoping the the double size palette and some other features will address this issue. If not, I'll keeping tweaking.
3) I don't understand this one. Please explain.
4) I'm really trying to break down the tile sets concept. Let me think about this.
5) The zip export option has that. Here's an example.
http://www.rpgobjects.com/pdf/tiamat_miniature.zip
6) I'm make this an options. I originally felt this would work better since when I make maps I'm always reusing tiles already on the map. But several people have said the same thing.
7) I'll be adding some fill tiles 1x1, 2x2, 3x3 for most of the sets soon. And also giving some ways to auto fill. Overlapping is another issue. I would rather give a way to clip tiles.

Thanks again for the feedback and please add more clarification if I'm misunderstanding you.

Update coming soon. Hopefully Friday/Monday.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile WWW

Clarification of, "Dock the tile filter with option of right or left."

What I mean is, instead of popping up the tile filter when I click on the numbers button above the tile selection pane, keep the tile filter visible/sticky/docked on one side or the other. With a wide screen display, I don't need the extra space for my map layout, so using the extra room for something functional is a plus. Keeping it docked also reminds the user of what the filter is.

Thanks for the great work so far!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 am
Site Admin

I updated Tiamat today. The two main items:

Bigger Tile Palette: Now the tile palette is 2 rows instead of 1. I will make this adjustable soon so you can have as many rows as you want.

Fill Tiles: I created a selection of FREE tiles you can use to fill open spaces that are smaller than a traditional tile size (6x6). Depending on the tile, they will be 1x1, 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4 sized tiles that can be used for filling.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Tiamat Update #10: Tile Selection / Rotation
http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=news&news_id=653

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:15 pm
Profile WWW

Hello all,

First thoughts, and I apologize if it has already been said and I missed.

1) Having a running cost as you use tiles would be awesome.
2) Wish there was some way to see all the tiles larger and perhaps a sample of them put together - this would be particularly helpful for buildings like castles, etc. Maybe already put together groupings that could be just grabbed and bought?

On first blush I'm loving what I'm seeing. :-)

-S.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:30 am
Site Admin

fictionalbeing wrote:
Hello all,
First thoughts, and I apologize if it has already been said and I missed.
1) Having a running cost as you use tiles would be awesome.
2) Wish there was some way to see all the tiles larger and perhaps a sample of them put together - this would be particularly helpful for buildings like castles, etc. Maybe already put together groupings that could be just grabbed and bought?.

#1 shouldn't bee to hard, but I need some way to make sure people know that they are only charged for tiles on miniature scale stuff. I need to better explain how much things cost in general. I think I made it to complicated.

#2) Can you explain this more please? It sounds like an interesting idea, but I don't know if I fully understand you.

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:55 pm
Profile WWW

rpgobjects wrote:

#2) Can you explain this more please? It sounds like an interesting idea, but I don't know if I fully understand you.

Well, right now putting together something large and relatively complicated like a castle or building is difficult. One solution, might be to have a castle (and other structures) "pre-built" so that all anyone had to do was grab that and throw into the tile window. Example: they could build a forest scene themselves and then throw the pre-built castle in where they needed it.

It might be nice if a selected tile could "pop-up" larger (view wise) so that the details could be seen better before placement.

*Another request (or a question) do the tile codes somehow reference the set(s) that can be bought?

-S.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:25 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next